A southern favorite made with sweet potatoes, banana, cinnamon, and pecans, this comforting bread recipe has been modified for a vegan diet.
- 1 cup chopped sweet potato
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 over-ripe banana
- 1 3/4 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Bring water to a boil in a large pot. Add sweet potatoes and cook until tender, 20 to 30 minutes; drain. Place sweet potatoes in a bowl and mash with a potato masher until smooth.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9x5-inch loaf pan.
- Stir sugar and oil together in a bowl until well mixed; beat in banana. Combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and baking powder in a bowl. Alternate stirring the flour mixture and 1/3 cup water into the sugar mixture until combined. Mix in sweet potatoes and pecans; stir until batter is smooth. Pour batter into the prepared loaf pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven until top is golden brown, about 1 hour.