This traditional Italian recipe of eggs cooked in a rich homemade tomato sauce with olives, capers, and anchovy makes a very tasty breakfast or brunch.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 3 black Italian olives, pitted and chopped, or more to taste
- 1 teaspoon capers
- 1 anchovy fillet in oil, drained
- 7 ounces passata (crushed tomatoes)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 sprig chopped fresh parsley
- salt to taste
- 2 eggs
- Heat oil in a skillet over low heat. Add garlic, olives, capers, and anchovy; cook for 1-2 minutes. Add tomato passata and water, bring to a boil, and simmer until flavors combine, about 10 minutes. Add parsley and season with salt.
- Gently add eggs directly into tomato sauce without breaking the yolks. Cook until eggs are just cooked, 3 to 5 minutes.