Lemon cake is layered with a sweet lemon filling and topped with a lemon frosting creating a lemon cake with three hits of lemon flavor.
- 1 cup raw sugar, or to taste
- ½ cup butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- 1 tablespoon warm water
- 1 lemon, zested
- 3 ½ tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 lemon, juiced, divided
- 3 ½ tablespoons raw sugar
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Line a 7-inch round baking dish with parchment paper.
- Beat 1 cup raw sugar and 1/2 cup butter together in a bowl using an electric mixer until smooth and creamy; beat in eggs, 1 at a time, beating well before adding the next egg. Stir flour, water, and lemon zest into creamed butter mixture until batter is smooth. Pour batter into the prepared baking dish.
- Bake in the preheated oven until top of cake springs back when touched, about 30 minutes. Cool cake completely.
- Beat confectioners' sugar, 2 tablespoons butter, and lemon juice together in a bowl using an electric mixer until topping is smooth and creamy. Mix 3 1/2 tablespoons raw sugar and remaining lemon juice together in a separate bowl to make the filling.
- Slice the cooled cake horizontally, forming 2 round cakes. Poke holes into the bottom cake and pour lemon-sugar filling over cake. Place second cake over the bottom cake and spread the topping over the top cake.