Colorful skewers of bison sirloin steak, tender sea scallops, mushrooms, zucchini, and cherry tomatoes are grilled and served with a Greek-inspired couscous salad in this gourmet recipe.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon finely shredded lemon zest
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 16 large fresh or frozen sea scallops
- 16 cherry tomatoes
- 1 medium zucchini, halved lengthwise and sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 3 (6 ounce) packages bison sirloin steak, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 16 small whole or halved large button mushrooms
- 1 medium green or red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- Mediterranean Couscous Salad:
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 1/4 cups quick-cooking couscous
- 1 medium tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1 cup seeded, chopped cucumber
- 1/4 cup sliced green onion
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 cup Greek vinaigrette salad dressing
- For brush-on, stir together oil, lemon juice, lemon zest, garlic, salt, and thyme in a small bowl; set aside.
- Thaw scallops, if frozen. Rinse scallops; pat dry with paper towels. On eight 10-inch skewers,* alternately thread scallops, cherry tomatoes, and zucchini, leaving 1/4 inch between pieces.
- On eight 10-inch skewers,* alternately thread bison sirloin steak pieces, mushrooms, and bell pepper, leaving 1/4 inch between pieces.
- For gas or charcoal grill, place bison skewers on the rack of a covered grill directly over medium-high heat. Grill for 8 to 10 minutes or until desired doneness, turning once and brushing with brush-on. Grill scallop skewers beside bison skewers for 5 to 6 minutes or until scallops are opaque, turning once and brushing with brush-on. Serve with Mediterranean Couscous Salad.
- Mediterranean Couscous Salad: Bring broth to boiling in a medium saucepan. Stir in couscous. Cover and remove from heat. Let stand for 5 minutes. Fluff couscous lightly with a fork. Transfer to a large bowl. Let stand at room temperature for 10 minutes. Stir in chopped tomato, cucumber, onion, and feta cheese. Toss with vinaigrette.