A wonderful pound cake full of maraschino cherries and a creamy cherry and cream cheese icing.
- 1 ½ cups shortening
- 6 eggs
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon butternut flavored extract
- 3 cups white sugar
- 3 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup milk
- ¾ cup maraschino cherries, chopped
- 3 ounces cream cheese
- ¼ cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
- ¼ cup maraschino cherries, chopped
- ½ cup flaked coconut (optional)
- In a large bowl, cream the shortening and the white sugar together until fluffy. Add eggs one at a time to the creamed mixture, beating well after each addition. Add the flavoring.
- In another bowl, combine flour and baking powder together. Add these dry ingredients alternating with the milk to the creamed mixture. Stir 3/4 cup chopped cherries into the batter.
- Pour batter into a greased tube pan, and bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 1 1/2 hours.
- To Make the Frosting: Cream together the cream cheese and the butter in a small mixing bowl. Gradually add the confectioners' sugar. Stir in the 1/4 cup cherries and coconut. Frost cake when cool.