Canned produce is just as nutritious as fresh and frozen, and in some cases even better! The canned tomatoes in this hearty dish contain more of the healthful antioxidant, lycopene, than fresh!
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper - cored, seeded and diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (such as Tabasco®)
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (4.5 ounce) can chopped green chiles, drained
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 6 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In 12-inch oven-proof or cast-iron skillet over medium heat, in hot oil, cook onion, red pepper and garlic about 5 minutes until tender-crisp, stirring occasionally. Stir in cumin and hot pepper sauce; cook 1 minute.
- Add crushed tomatoes, green chilies, salt and pepper. Over high heat, heat to boiling; simmer 6 to 8 minutes until mixture has thickened and flavors are blended.
- Make 6 indentations in tomato sauce. Gently crack eggs into indentations. Place skillet in oven; bake 5 to 10 minutes, just until eggs are just set. Sprinkle with chopped parsley.