A rich and smooth coconut custard pie. Top with whipped cream and toasted coconut, if desired.
- 1 cup white sugar
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 cups milk
- 4 egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1 (9 inch) pie shell, baked
- In a medium saucepan, combine sugar, flour and salt over a medium heat; gradually stir in milk. Cook and stir over medium heat until the mixture is thick and bubbly. Reduce heat to low and cook 2 minutes more. Remove the pan from heat.
- Place a strainer over a clean mixing bowl; set aside.
- Beat the egg yolks slightly. Gradually pour 1 cup of the hot custard mixture into yolks, whisking constantly. Return the egg mixture to the saucepan and bring the entire mixture to a gentle boil. Cook and stir 2 minutes before removing the pan from heat. Immediately pour custard through the strainer.
- Stir butter, vanilla, and coconut into the hot mixture. Pour the hot filling into the baked pie crust. Cool and refrigerate until set, about 4 hours.